Timeline of events since 2001 Parliament attack
AFZAL GURU HANGED
New Delhi, Feb 9: 2001 Parliament attack convict Muhammad Afzal Guru was hanged today at the Tihar Jail at 8am, six days after President Pranab Mukherjee rejected his mercy petition.
Here is a timeline of events leading to execution:
* December 13, 2001: Five heavily armed gunmen stormed the Parliament complex and opened indiscriminate fire, killing nine people instantly. The victims included five Delhi Police personnel, a woman Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) trooper, two Parliament watch and ward staff and a gardener. A journalist who was injured died later.
* December 15, 2001: Delhi Police picked up Afzal Guru, an alleged member of outfit Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM), from Jammu and Kashmir for allegedly conspiring and sheltering the militants. He was later found guilty. SAR Geelani of Delhi University's Zakir Hussain College was picked up for questioning and later arrested. Two others - Afsan Guru and her husband Shaukat Hussain Guru - were picked up later.
* December 29, 2001: Afzal Guru was sent to 10-day police remand.
* June 4, 2002: Charges were framed against four people - Afzal Guru, Geelani, Shaukat Hussain Guru, Afsan Guru and Geelani.
* December 18, 2002: A trial court awarded death sentence to Afzal Guru, SAR Geelani and Shaukat Hussain Guru, while Afsan Guru is let off.
* August 30, 2003: Jaish-e-Mohammad leader Ghazi Baba, prime accused in the attack, was killed in an encounter with the Border Security Force (BSF) in Srinagar. Three more militants along with him were also killed in the 10-hour encounter.
* October 29, 2003: Delhi High Court upheld death penalty for Afzal Guru. The court also acquitted SAR Geelani in the case.
* August 4, 2005: The Supreme Court upheld the death sentence of Afzal Guru but commuted Shaukat Hussain Guru's death sentence to 10 years of rigorous imprisonment.
* October 3, 2006: Afzal Guru's wife Tabasum Guru filed a mercy petition with former President APJ Abdul Kalam.
* January 12, 2007: The Supreme Court dismissed Afzal Guru's plea seeking review of his death sentence, said "there is no merit" in it.
* May 19, 2010: Delhi government rejected Afzal Guru's mercy petition; endorsed capital punishment awarded to him by the Supreme Court.
* December 30, 2010: Shaukat Hussain Guru released from Delhi's Tihar Jail.
* December 10, 2012: Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde said he would examine Afzal Guru's file after Parliament's Winter session concluded on December 22.
* February 3, 2013: President Pranab Mukherjee rejects Afzal Guru's mercy petition.
* February 9, 2013: Afzal Guru hanged in Tihar Jail at 8 am amid tight security.
Lastupdate on : Sat, 9 Feb 2013 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Sat, 9 Feb 2013 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Sun, 10 Feb 2013 00:00:00 IST
- MORE FROM NATIONAL
- Timeline of events since 2001 Parliament attack
- RSS welcomes execution of Afzal Guru
- Guru's hanging according to law of land: Digvijay
- 'Stop killing people in the name of idea of Indiaí
- Guru first to be hanged at Tihar after Indira Gandhi's killers
- PUCL condemns Afzal's hanging
- Congress playing political game to outdo Hindutva parties: Dr Zafarul-Islam
- Kin of Parliament staff ready to take back medals
Srinagar, Feb 9: Various separatists and militant organizations have condemned the hanging of Afzal Guru in New Delhiís Tihar Jail on Saturday. Barbaric murder: Salahuddin Chairman More
- Srinagar City
LOCALS, TOURISTS FACE INCONVENIENCE
GK NEWS NETWORK
Srinagar, Feb 9: Clamping of curfew in Srinagar following hanging of Parliament attack convict Muhammad Afzal Guru at Tihar Jail in New Delhi, caused immense inconvenience to locals and tourists.   More
Jammu, Feb 9: State Secretary of CPI (M) M Y Tarigami on Saturday said that his party had always been against the capital punishment to Afzal Guru. Tarigami in a statement said: ďIt has been our More
- South Asia
NISAR AHMED THOKAR
Islamabad, Feb 9: Terming Guruís hanging as a blot on Indian democracy, the Chairman of Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front, Muhammad Yasin Malik on Saturday said that his execution by New Delhi had speckled More
MUZAFFARABAD, Feb 9: Expressing condemnations, shock and gloom over the hanging of Afzal Guru on Saturday, Pakistan administered Kashmir (PaK) based political civil society activists said that such ghastly More
Ill-equipped departments, obsolete syllabus and inexperienced faculty worries journalism students
Um Roommana Sulaiman, 23, wants to become a successful television broadcaster like Mishal Husain of the BBC. A 4th semester student of journalism at the Islamic University of Science and Technology Awantipora More