Day 4: MLA Langate in custody
Srinagar, Feb 12: Authorities have put Member of Legislative Assembly from Langate Er Rasheed in preventive detention at police station Handwara.
Rasheed continued to remain under detention for the fourth consecutive day Tuesday.
“Er Rasheed was detained on Saturday when he was leading a protest march towards Sopore to express solidarity with the family of Afzal Guru. We are worried about his safety as police is not releasing him despite being a sitting legislator,” his PRO Inam-un-Nabi told Greater Kashmir.
Inam said that Rashid would announce his program to protest against the execution of Afzal Guru after his release.
Pertinently, Rasheed had moved a resolution in the state Assembly seeking clemency for Guru in 2011 and had sought support from National Conference and People’s Democratic Party on his move.
“I appeal National Conference, Peoples Democratic Party, Congress and other parties to support the resolution,” Rashid had said. “We must save a human life. If Afzal is hanged it will prove disastrous for the state,” Rashid had said.
“If Tamil Nadu Chief Minister can move a resolution (for amnesty to Rajiv Gandhi’s killers) and Punjab Chief Minister can write to the Prime Minister in support of Davinder Pal Singh Bhullar, why cannot J&K Assembly pass resolution to seek amnesty for Afzal Guru?” he had asked.
Lastupdate on : Tue, 12 Feb 2013 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Tue, 12 Feb 2013 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Wed, 13 Feb 2013 00:00:00 IST
- MORE FROM KASHMIR
- Epitaph at martyrs’ graveyard for Afzal’s body
- Guru role model for Kashmiri youth: DeM
- Curfew fallout: People run short of essential commodities
- ‘HELPLINE’ FOR ESSENTIAL SERVICES
- Day 4: MLA Langate in custody
- Baramulla youth loses eye to teargas shell
- Pro-India parties cosponsors of suppression in JK: Hurriyat (M)
- On Chief Minister’s directions, ministers stay at district headquarters
- Kashmir siege gruesome: Sajad Lone
- People face shortage of essentials
- Keep ration outlets open: Kitchloo
- Lt General Parnaik chairs security review meet
- Mir reviews availability of essentials
- Tackle law, order situation peacefully
- Sakina Itoo in Kulgam
It Is Outcome Of People’s Emotions: Family
Srinagar, Feb 12: Tahir Mir managed to reach Srinagar’s martyrs’ graveyard early Tuesday morning amid strict curfew. He had brought with himself an epitaph with the title of ‘Shaheed-i-Watan (Martyr of More
- Srinagar City
Minister asks officials
Srinagar, Feb 12: Minister for Rural Development and Panchayati Raj, Ali Muhammad Sagar on Tuesday visited various areas of Shaher-e-Khaas and directed authorities to ensure supply of essential food items More
Jammu, Feb 12: The prevailing situation in the Valley following hanging of Afzal Guru, has cast its shadow on the administrative setup as the Civil Secretariat Tuesday wore a deserted look with most of More
Washington, Feb 12: The Navy SEAL who killed Osama bin Laden broke his silence Monday, recounting the night he shot the Al Qaeda leader three times and the financial anxiety he now faces as an unemployed More